Ryan’s PPC Playlist: Creating Actionable Insights With Data
This playlist started with 42 blog posts I had marked to review for possible inclusion. I’ve narrowed it down to 7 of the best PPC blog posts since last edition of my playlist in March. Avinash always challenges analysts to provide actionable data and not just “puke data”. Ensure your insights and reports contain actionable tasks with posts from this playlist.
Amplified Gold Posts
- Getting Organized: Paid Search, User Intent, & The Search Funnel: Great post. I’ve been a proponent of leveraging user intent for years and this is a great strategy on account organization.
- Using Tag Crowd to Grow Your PPC Account: I love this tip on how to visualize keywords to identify patterns in a list and expand keywords with keyword clouds. Last year Ben wrote a great post on how to use keyword clouds to write ad copy.
- Automated Alerts – Robotic Guardian Angels of PPC: I’ve never used alerts in Adwords or Google Analytics. But after reading this post I’ve been inspired to set some up. Read up on automated alerts and save yourself some sleep too.
Amplified Platinum Posts
- Writing Better PPC Reports: There is a fine line in providing valuable reporting for your clients or boss. You can get too granular or too high level. This article offers great tips on what to include and what to omit to improve the effectiveness of your reports.
- PPC Reports: How to Highlight Meaningful Metrics Using Data Visualization: The inclusion of charts and graphs enhance the presentation of data, making it easy to consume and understand. But how do you choose which metrics to put in your chart? And which chart to use? Bar? Line? Pie? Read this great post on how to create “un-sucky” reports.
Amplified Diamond Posts
- The Long Tail is Dead: Meet the Wide Tail: PPC has definitely evolved. I remember at my first PPC job building GIANT keyword lists using concatenate in Excel to target “long tail” keywords. David even wrote this post prior to Google rolling out the most recent changes to phrase and exact match(another blow to the “long tail”). Read up to make sure you are leveraging the wide tail in PPC.
- The Who, When & Why Of PPC Account Audits: Brad Geddes is always full of great PPC tips. PPC audits should be a regular part of managing PPC accounts. Brad provides great ideas on how to make sure your audits are effective and actionable.
What PPC post did you read recently that you bookmarked?
My personal playlist…
I’ve been in rap mode lately and I’m loving the latest album from Jay Z and Kanye West. Here’s a single from the album that I’ve been digging: